Apply for Grants
As one of Indiana’s largest community foundations, Legacy Foundation works for Lake County in multiple ways, playing multiple roles. For donors, the Foundation offers an effective way to manage giving by providing expert philanthropic advice rooted in a deep knowledge of our community and an array of philanthropic vehicles and services. For the community, the Foundation serves as a grant-maker, a civic leader, and awards grants to the region’s non-profits to help meet community needs, fulfill donors’ philanthropic wishes, and strengthen the nonprofit sector. Using local knowledge, networks, influence, and creativity, the Foundation brings people together to improve the community’s quality of life now and in the future.
We look forward to partnering with organizations and communities across Lake County in the year ahead and sharing your needs with Legacy Foundation donors.
City of Gary ARPA Grant
Legacy Foundation has partnered with the City of Gary to assist with the distribution of American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds to nonprofit organizations for programs and projects serving the residents of Gary, Indiana. The City of Gary will be awarding up to $500,000 of ARPA funding. This opportunity is open to 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(19) tax-exempt organizations serving Gary, Indiana residents. Priority will be given to organizations located in the City of Gary. The deadline to apply is 5 PM CST on June 18, 2023.
Resilia Capacity Building Scholarship
Legacy Foundation has partnered with Resilia to support capacity building for nonprofits in Lake County, Indiana. Through this partnership, Legacy Foundation will be awarding 10 scholarships (valued at $2,500 each) to Lake County, Indiana serving organizations to receive free access to Resilia.
Applications are due at 5:00 PM Central on June 30, 2023.
Resilia offers technology and 1:1 coaching to support effectiveness, creativity, and workflow in nonprofits across the country. Resilia provides organizations on-demand tools and resources to support organizational growth and impact, including:
- Online training and educational materials on fundraising, board management, and more.
- 40+ downloadable and customizable templates including sample fundraiser plans, elevator pitches, bylaw templates, and 4-part strategic plan templates.
- 1:1 nonprofit coaching on core functions like fundraising, program management, storytelling, leadership development, and board engagement.
- Tools to capture program outputs, outcomes, and impact narratives.
Legacy Foundation Partners with GrantStation to Offer Nonprofit Organizations Serving Lake County, Indiana Discounted Membership!
Legacy Foundation has partnered with GrantStation to offer 501(c)3 organizations serving Lake County, Indiana a discounted one-year membership to GrantStation. This discounted one-year membership of $95 is over $600 in savings!
With GrantStation, your organization can get the tools and information you need to secure future funding!
- Find new funding opportunities in a searchable database.
- Build a strong program with strategic planning tools.
- Write powerful proposals using step-by-step tutorials
A GrantStation membership is not required to receive a Legacy Foundation grant.
Grant Application Resources
Nonprofit IDEA Resources
National Council of Nonprofits
- Why Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Matter for Nonprofits
- Nonprofits, you are the Champions for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in the Nonprofit Sector
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity Policy Template
Racial Equity Tools
Alliance for Strong Families and Communities
Michigan Nonprofit Association
American Public Health Association