About Legacy Foundation
Legacy Foundation is the community foundation for Lake County, Indiana. Our goal is to offer a personalized approach to giving that enables individuals, families, organizations, and businesses to create a charitable legacy. With over 300 funds and $60 million in assets, we have become the trusted source for philanthropic giving in the region.
Since 1992, we have served the community in five important ways:
- Helping donors invest and manage their charitable assets
- Providing grants to organizations serving the Lake County, Indiana community
- Awarding scholarships to Lake County, Indiana high school and current college students
- Collaborating with local leaders to enhance residents’ quality of life
- Serving as a mentor and resource center to ensure nonprofit organizations can effectively provide services to the community
We believe that lasting and meaningful change happens when all residents are able to contribute. We help a broad base of people give of their time, skills, and financial assets to charitable causes and organizations they care about.
Building a culture of philanthropy across generations that will positively transform Lake County.
Legacy is the primary philanthropic organization in Lake County that connects a broad base of residents who give to, volunteer with and invest in our communities.
What is a Community Foundation
A community foundation is a tax-exempt nonprofit, publicly supported, nonsectarian philanthropic institution with a long term goal of building permanent, named, component funds established by many separate donors for the broad-based charitable benefit of residents of a defined geographic area. A community foundation serves a particular geographic area such as a municipality, county, metropolitan area, or state.