Explanation of the Form 990
- Annual information return form is filed with the IRS by most tax-exempt organizations
- Dramatically redesigned form for 2008 tax year
- Primary source of information about the nonprofit sector
- Two basic purposes:
- Enables government to enforce laws.
- Provides information about the financial condition and relative fiscal health of the organization.
Importance of the Form 990
- Available for public inspection by a request to the IRS or Community Foundation via the GuideStar Web Site and the Community Foundation's website.
- Keep public trust and confidence by demonstrating the Community Foundation is accountable and responsible to the fulfillment of its mission and purpose.
- Public relations tool—help inform donors and the media of how the Community Foundation is meeting its mission.
Download the Form 990