Legacy Foundation is Lake County’s community foundation and the leading philanthropic partner serving Lake County, Indiana since 1992. Legacy Foundation serves the community through important programs such as the South Shore Neighborhood Development Corporation (SSNDC) which was established in 2018 to create focused programs which address issues impacting the lives of the residents of Lake County. The Lake County Eats Local program was written to bring the SSNDC, NWI Food Council, Lake County Purdue University Extension, and the City of Gary Green Urbanism together to address access to and availability of food in the cities of Gary and East Chicago. This is a grant funded program through the United States Department of Agriculture.
The Program Coordinator (PC) works under the supervision of the SSNDC Director and the NWI Food Council President to oversee all program activities. The PC is responsible for overseeing all market operations as well as directly managing the markets and mobile markets. This position is funded by a grant and is a part-time position for 20 hours/week until summer 2021.
I. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the development and operations for all markets including mobile markets
- Develop plans for the launch and capacity building for all markets
- Serve as the primary liaison between markets and with consumers and producers
- Manage markets including vendor enrollment and eligibility, set-up and breakdown, marketing, signage, information packet creation and distribution, and all other market activities as needed
- Assist farmers in establishing SNAP eligibility and enrollment in other training programs
- Organize and execute farmers market assessments
- Work with vendors in compliance with procurement policies
- Oversee website upgrades and updates
- Create and update communication plans related to program
- Develop, schedule, and host marketing events
- Develop positive relationships with farmers, community leaders, and organizational/governmental leaders
- Ability to travel to locations for programmatic purposes
- Perform, support and manage other program activities as needed
II. REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Three years of related work experience required
- Two years of farmer’s market or closely related small business management experience working directly with the public and with diverse communities
- Proven ability to work independently, in a team, and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations
- Competency with word processing, spreadsheets, database management and entry, and an interest in learning new software tools
- Proven ability and enthusiasm for developing and maintaining relationships with participants including farmers, consumers, businesses, chefs, vendors, city officials, organization leaders, and other members of the public
- Proven ability to resolve conflicts and create solutions, monitor programmatic progress, be flexible in challenging situations, and “think on your feet” if necessary
- Must have an active State of Indiana driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and a clean driving record
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
III. WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands:
Sitting, standing, walking, and lifting. Acute verbal, hearing, and visual senses required for communication. Work environment includes various locations in office and public. Manual dexterity and visual capability to use computer, audio/visual and general office equipment. May include lifting and carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Mental Demands:
Must be able to work under moderate to high stress.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
Legacy Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business needs.
HOW TO APPLY: Email updated resume, cover letter, requested hourly rate of pay, and a list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Lake County Eats Local PC” in the subject line. References will only be contacted if applicant is considered a final applicant and is first notified of intent to call references. This position does not include benefits.Apply for this position
DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until November 1st, 2018, 5:00 PM CST. Final selected candidate must successfully pass background and driving record checks.